Cusp-a point of transition, as from one historical period to the next;
the borders between the twelve astrological signs.
You are considered to be "on the cusp" if you were born
within a day or two of the beginning or end of any sign.

The Rocky Mountains, Lander's Peak, 1863; Albert Bierstadt


05 February 2010

Memorial of Saint Agatha, virgin and martyr


The beauty of the noble Agatha of Sicily attracted the attention of the Roman governor Quintian. She refused his offers, praying, "Jesus Christ, Lord of all things, you see my heart, you know my desires. You alone possess all that I am." She died during the persecution of Emperor Decius suffering the mutilation of her breasts, among other tortures. From antiquity her cult spread throughout the church and her name is remembered in the Roman Canon.

Lord,
let your forgiveness be won for us
by the pleading of Saint Agatha,
who found favor with you by her chastity
and by her courage in suffering death for the gospel.

Evening Prayer--Canticle of Mary

Antiphon: Lord Jesus, my beloved Master, it you who have given me victory in the midst of torments. Call me Lord to undying happiness with you.
From Christian Prayer

No comments: