Cusp-a point of transition, as from one historical period to the next;
the borders between the twelve astrological signs.
You are considered to be "on the cusp" if you were born
within a day or two of the beginning or end of any sign.

The Rocky Mountains, Lander's Peak, 1863; Albert Bierstadt


21 August 2022

Twentyfirst Sunday in Ordinary Time C, 21 August 2022

 

“Strive to enter the narrow gate.” This is Jesus’ response to the question if only a few are being saved. Strive to enter the narrow gate.

When I was a younger man I used to get out and run. I even entered a few 10 k races. I didn’t just decide to run a race one day and sign up for it, I had to start training. My father worked for the Toledo Blade. After he died I decided to run in the next Blade 10 k in his memory. I was living by Ottawa Park and I would get out every morning and run before I went to work. At first it was agony. I would be out of breath, my feet and legs hurt, I would get pains in my side, but I was determined to run in that 10 k so I kept running. After a while I learned to pace myself. I had better control of my breathing, my feet and legs became conditioned, and I no longer would get pains in my side—but it was still a workout.

It was finally the day of the 10 K. I had no illusions that I was going to win, but I knew I was going to finish because I knew I could do it. After the race started and everyone began to find their pace, I found a companion who was running at my pace and we kept up with each other until we crossed the finish line.

Why did I just tell you about my running a race? The Greek word used in the gospel for “strive” is agonizomai and it means “to train for the race.” In last week’s passage from Hebrews when the author exhorts us to persevere in running the race with our eyes fixed on Jesus, he uses the Greek word agona for race. It is where the word agony comes from. Strive to enter the narrow gate.

Why would Jesus say that? In the opening lines of the passage we see that Jesus is making his way to Jerusalem. He already knows what to expect there-betrayal, humiliation, suffering, and death. It is his narrow gate. He is responding to the Pharisees who think their entry into heaven is guaranteed by the privilege of being descendants of Abraham. He sees that they are not serious followers. If they were-they would already be heading to the narrow gate. They would have turned their lives around, and they would be following the commandments to love God with their whole being, and to love their neighbor as they love themselves.

The Pharisees were content to listen to Jesus, to eat and drink with him, but not to commit their lives to him. They followed rules and they wanted to know what the rules were so they could follow them. They did not want to give up the privilege and comfort to which they were accustomed. They did not want to “train for the race.” In a sense, Jesus is telling them to get moving before the gate is barred.

How about us? Are we content to say: “I’m baptized. I’m a Catholic. I follow the rules.” Or are we up to the call to follow Jesus, to strive for the narrow gate to “train for the race? “  What effort are we willing to make to enter the narrow gate? The cost of entry is love—love of God and love of neighbor. We must be willing to change ourselves in order to live out the Gospel. We should not assume a sense of privilege that results in a place in the kingdom.

What steps should we take to begin our training? Jesus meets us where we are. He knows our strengths and weaknesses. He is our trainer, he shows us the way. Our daily encounters with family, friends, co-workers, and even the stranger on the street give us the opportunities to begin our training. As we become stronger we become more able to endure more challenging situations.

As we celebrate this Eucharist today let us be mindful that it is part of our training with Jesus, and he is about to offer us the Banquet of Champions so that we may go and strive to enter the narrow gate.



No comments: